There is nothing that wastes the body like worry, and one who has any faith in God should be ashamed to worry about anything whatsoever. – Mahatma Gandhi
Our gut feel told us that in order to achieve our objective and optimize our time before the end of Ramadan to uncover the secrets to sustainable inner peace, we needed to cover a key point: faith.
We personally believe that faith is essential to inner peace. However, our main point is not that it is essential, it is that the quality of faith is what is important. You see, similar to our post about purpose in life, we all have faith whether we readily recognize it or not. Why? It is our nature to be inquisitive and to want to ‘rely’ for confidence, stability and direction.
Faith is ultimately trust and/or reliance on someone or something that spans across all areas in our lives. Some have faith in god, and some, have faith in human logic, a person (dead or alive), passion (likes/enjoyment/love), empiricism, chance, an animal (pet or not), bad morals (cheating, stealing, lying), etc… So the key is that if one is going to believe and rely on something anyway, it might as well be something worth it and someone or something that benefits, elevates and improves all aspects of our lives. What does that mean? It must give us freedom from dependency on anything or anyone that can change or die.
The reality is that:
- we don’t know when we can conceive (how many couples can’t conceive due to ‘no scientific reason’)
- we are born from a foetus that is 1.5 g and an inch long (a paper clip?!#@)
- we (plants / animals / people) die on a day and/or time unknown to us (even in cases of Euthanasia)
- everything changes around us and nothing is constant, e.g. plants, animals, universe
- natural disasters occur that we can neither predict nor prevent (scientists still maintain that earthquake prediction is inherently impossible*)
and someone who is all-powerful and knowledgeable, does.
So ultimately, if we don’t see him, we know he exists and we seek during these last few days the secrets to sustainable inner peace on the basis of an unchanging, powerful, knowledgeable god who has provided us with the tools and knowledge necessary to make it the best and most peaceful life we can have.